Last year’s Monterey Car Week was an incredible good time, with all sorts of hilarious adventures (and misadventures). We saw some fascinating cars and even helped fix a rare $2 million Fiat we found on the side of the road. We’re going back this year and we’d love to know what you’d like to see/learn/understand. Let us know below!
Monterey Car Week isn’t just one event, it’s actually a bunch of incredible festivities all roughly happening around Monterey Bay. If you love cars, it’s nirvana. Even the parking lots/side roads are full of fascinating vehicles.
The big three events are the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca (my favorite event), The Quail A Motorsports Gathering (a mix of vintage and new reveals/exotics), and the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance (the biggest event of the weekend and, arguably, the most important collector car show in the world). There are a ton of other more niche meetups and gatherings as well. Here’s a schedule with just about everything.
Oh, by the way, here’s how we got there last year:
The amazing video team we share with (borrow from) Galpin put together this great short film to show you what Pebble Beach is like:
Some of my personal favorite moments were just wandering around auctions with Jason, David, and Beau. Each one of them has such a deep knowledge of cars and, because they all have slightly different car tastes, each one has a whole area of automotive history that the other two don’t. I hope some of the video above gives you a taste of what that’s like. Here, check this out:
The other fun thing about this event is going with Beau because everyone knows/respects/admires him, so it automatically makes us look way cooler (we were trying to get into an event and a PR person was like “You know if you just mention Beau’s name that’s like a golden ticket.”) Let’s just say we didn’t always have doors open for us like this at the last place.
Our plan currently is to do the following:
- Drive up on Wednesday in a soon-to-be-publicly-revealed car. That evening we’ve got a special preview of a secret car that’s coming, which we can tell you about on Thursday.
- Hopefully go to the Monterey Historics on Thursday morning to see the Porsche 901 that Santa Clarita Porsche is racing. Then, maybe, test drive something super rare and new with Beau before hitting some of the auctions. That evening we’ll have dinner at the reveal for the car we can’t tell you about yet.
- Friday is The Quail and we’ll show you all the new reveals, new cars, and our favorite vintage cars.
- Saturday morning, Jason will be judging the Concours d’Lemons again, so if you’re there come and find us. We can all accept bribes on his behalf, just FYI.
- Saturday afternoon we’re hitting up Laguna Seca for some vintage racing action.
- Sunday morning is Dawn Patrol at Pebble Beach followed by the Concours d’Elegance.
- Sunday evening we make the long, tired drive back to Los Angeles.
[Editor’s Note: I hate that I’m missing the Woodward Dream Cruise. We’ll see if we can get coverage from a contributor. I love Woodward so much! But I know I’m gonna have a ball at Pebble. -DT]
We’ll be posting stories on the site as we go as well as on our Instagram account and on our Discord. If you’re there and find us we’ll give you a sticker. If you have anything you’d like to see specifically or, if you’re going to be there, let us know below. We’re not going to have a good time (though we will), we’re going to be your eyes/ears/fingers/tongues.
Also, as a personal aside, this reminds me that I’ve been here for a year because the first thing I did was going to Pebble Beach with everyone. This place is exactly as incredible as you imagine it is and I’m extremely grateful to Jeff/Beau/Jason/David for having me here and for Thomas/Mercedes everyone else for continuing to put up with me. Also, a huge thanks to the readers/members who help make this place so incredible.